Quite a while ago, I wrote extensively about the Beyerdynamic T-90 headphones and why I chose them. In that post I also hinted at getting, one day in the future, a slightly more “forgiving” pair of headphones for recordings and situations that demand that kind of approach.
Well, I was able to secure a wonderfully-kept second hand Sennheiser HD-600 at about half the list price and, of course, scrambled to hit the buy-me-now button as soon as I saw it (after having hunted around for such an offer for months). On top of that, the person selling it turned out to be a wonderful contact who not only made the transaction painless but also took great care when it came to getting it to my place in a safe and sound manner.
From the English version of the Sennheiser website:
“The HD 600 Avantgarde are audiophile-quality, open dynamic hi-fi/professional stereo headphones. The advanced diaphragm design eliminates standing waves in the diaphragm material. The HD 600 can be connected directly to hi-fi systems of the highest quality, in particular DAT, DVD, MD and CD players. These headphones are an ideal choice for the professional recording engineer recording classical music.
- Sophisticated design, elegantly finished in black and grey
- High-quality, open metal mesh earpiece covers for an extremely transparent sound
- Computer-optimised magnet systems minimise harmonic and intermodulation distortion
- Extremely lightweight aluminium voice coils ensure excellent transient response
- Neodymium ferrous magnet systems for optimum sensitivity and a wide dynamic range
- Exceptionally natural, spatial and accurate sound
- Detachable OFC copper cable, with very low handling noise
- 2-year guarantee“
In short, it’s got the (to my ears) typical Sennheiser sound, which I have always enjoyed.
P.S.: Two pairs of “high end” headphones are more than enough so I’m covered for now. Since my Beyerdynamic headphone amp allows for two pairs of headphones to be connected to it, a second one was an absolute necessity anyway. 😉
P.S.S.: Just in case you were wondering: I’m still around, but I have an insane amount of work to do at the moment so also for the next week or two, do not expect much “action” around here.